University Church of St. Paul
Augustusplatz square Paulinum University of Leipzig (Photo: LTM/Andreas Schmidt)
With the service and final sermon given by Luther in Leipzig on 12 August 1545, the monastery church of the Dominican Order, consecrated in 1240, became the Protestant University Church of St. Paul. Although it was only slightly damaged during the Second World War, the GDR authorities had the church demolished in 1968. Today, the Paulinum on the new university campus traces the outlines of the original Church of St. Paul.